Wednesday 22 July 2015

...and Now for Something Different!

Hi Crafters,
 
I've been promising Pamellia that I would get messy soon and make a mixed media project - something I haven't had much experience with but love the idea of it. There are so many talented mixed media artists out there that there is no shortage of inspiration and tutorials but it is finding the time and making the space in my room to do it. You really need to spread out and leave enough space around your work area for the 'splatter' zone!
Well I have been putting it off for long enough and although I have masses of orders and family cards to make I packed them all away and got out my non stick craft sheet, my limited supplies of crackle medium and paints, a few inks and seam binding and ...had a PLAY!!!
 
This is the result...

Recipe
Distress Inks - Cracked Pistachio, Fossilized Amber, Abandoned Coral, Gathered Twigs, Walnut Stain.
Stamp Sets - Hunkydory Antique Pastime, Debbie Moore Travel set, Inkylicious Hession, Artemio Script stamp.
Crafters Companion Embossing Folder - Hessian
Distress Crackle Paint
Gold gilding Wax
Suze Weinbergs Beadazzles - Macarena
Frantage - Aged Taupe and Aged Bronze
Sweet Dixie Balloon Die
Foam Pads
Metal Suitcase Charm
Seam binding dyed using DI's
 
Here are a few close ups of the crackle paint and details..
 
 
 
 
 
I believe this qualifies for some challenges...
Country View Crafts - On Your Travels
Try It On Tuesday - Hot & Wild ( Hot Colours)
Frilly & Funkie - Raise It Up
TTCRD - ATG
Papertake Weekly - Build It Up
Not Just Cards - #22 ATG
 
All the pieces started life as white card and were inked with DI then stamped, crackled and gilded. It took all day yesterday on and off to make this 8 inch tag allowing for drying time and pondering time - I felt a little out of my depth and a few pieces ended up in the bin but on the whole, I enjoyed it and I have some pieces of inked background card ready for the next project! Get me!!
Not a full-on mixed media piece like many I've seen but baby steps is the way to go I think until my confidence grows.
 
Thanks for popping in today and looking at my little mixed media tag, I hope you liked it and see you soon,
 
Lorraine
 
 


34 comments:

Sue said...

WOW! This is stunning Lorraine.
I love the travel theme. You have used fabulous images, I love the textures and amazing colours too.
Sue xx

froebelsternchen said...

A fantastic tag ... a WOWSER! Thank you very much for joining us at TIOT's this time with this amazing project!
xxx
Susi

Tracy said...

Wowzers this is so cool! The textures and patterns are a perfect mix and I love the balloon theme. A+++ on your mixed media skills Lorraine! Hugs!

Jacee said...

And what a great job you've made with your first mixed media Lorraine, it's fabulous, you have discovered another string to your bow! hope we'll be seeing more of your new found skill, fabulous work!
hugs Jacee
Simply Paper Card Design

Carol said...

Just catching up after my hols Lorraine....this is stunning, can't wait to see more mixed media from you. Carol x

cotnob said...

This is brilliant Lorraine, gorgeous colours and fabulous details - it looks like you are an expert mixed media artist.
Pauline
x

cuilliesocks said...

Hello Lorraine, what a fantastic make, love the travel theme and your gorgeous colours. The textures look amazing and you have done a amazing job, hugs Kate x

Amanda said...

Hi there, Wow I love your tag!! It is full of lot's of colour and texture and very creative. Just stunning!! Thankyou for joining us at That Craft Place and good luck.
Hugs Amanda

coops said...

oh wow so stunning lorraine.i love the hot balloons and fabulous colours and textures :D

xx coops xx

Meggymay said...

A fantastic tag, super details and texture. Thank you for sharing it with us at TioT's
Yvonne

Carol S. said...

Gorgeous tag and love the textures and colours. Very pretty piece. Hugs, Carol S.xx

Karen Petitt said...

OMGee Lorraine - this is just wonderful! You clever girl - love it! Karen xx

Lorraine A said...

Gorgeous tag Lorraine!! the whole design is absolutely stunning!! WOW!! :-)

thanks for joining us on the Papertake Weekly Challenge
luv
Lols x x x

debby4000 said...

What an amazing tag.
luv
Debby

Bee and Dee said...

A brilliant mixed media project, I look forward to seeing more, thank you for joining us on the TIOT challenge hugs Bee.

Desire Fourie said...

Oh wow Lorraine this is amazing stamping and design. The colouring and textures is just so lush.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

My name is Erika. said...

What a pretty tag. Love the colors and the depth it has:)

Pamellia said...

HOLY GOBSMACKERS!!! You are such a natural talent with mixed media Lorraine, I almost fell over when I caught a glimpse of this beauty!! WOW WOW WOW!! I can't get enough of your amazing colours and stamping and embossing and inking and and and...!! I really love the little touches of aqua amid all those fiery oranges and browns, what a dreamy contrast! Your layering is exquisite! PINNED IT, PINNED IT AGAIN!! You rock it girlfriend!

What a complete pleasure it is to say...
Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Raise It Up' challenge and for joining us at Try It On Tuesday for our 'Hot and Wild' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

Pamellia said...

Oh yeah, and just so you know, now that you have bent to my mixed media will, I shall be on you night and day for more! BWAHAHAHAHA! (I was doing an an evil mad scientist accent there, could you tell?) tee hee

Sue said...

This is gorgeous Lorraine, I love the crackle and the colours are beautiful. Thank you so much for joining in with our travel challenge at Country View Crafts. Sue xx

Granmargaret said...

Lovely work. Thank you for joining the challenge at Not just cards. Hope to see you again next time.

Nancy Dynes said...

Lorraine, your tag is FABULOUS! I'm not sure where to start, but the gorgeous, rich color palette was the first thing to grab me. Next it was on to the textures, layering, and embellishments that are perfectly placed and balanced! You have created a stand out piece of art! Thank you so much for joining us at The Frilly and Funkie 'Raise it up' challenge!!
Hugs,
Nancy

Erika said...

Wow Lorraine, a beautiful tag, love all of it. Great colours and texture.
Hugs Erika.

Jenny L said...

Hi Lorraine,
I think your tag is superb.
I love everything you have designed on the fab creation.
The work is spectacular, and the colours are so vibrant.
I too have been thinking about mixed media, but I need lots more supplies first.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Cec said...

Wonderful tag. Love all the embossing and crackle and your warm summer colours are perfect for a travel vacation. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
Hugs!
Cec

aussie aNNie said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE Lorraine this is fabulous...words will not express how I love this.xxx

Sue said...

Lorraine, this is breathtaking. Well done you for creating such a wonderful project. (I don't have the patience or aptitude for mixed media)! This looks so stunning - just fabulous...
Sue...xxx

Gina's Cards said...

OMG, you have done an amazing job of this tag Lorraine and I would never have guessed this was your first time wowzers!! Love the colour combo too!
Hugs
Gina xx

coldwaters2 said...

Absolutely brilliant mixed media project Lorraine those colours, the images and design are perfection, ACE make
hugs
lorraine x

Asmah Zainal Abidin said...

I can't stop admiring your gorgeous tag Rainey. The colors are just so amazing. Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door recently and I hope to see you again in our new challenge. Have a nice day :)
Fondly,
Asmah
TTCRD DT
Qinaahana Arts and Crafts {My Blog}

Shelly Hickox said...

This is one of the most gorgeous things I've seen in a very long time! You're making me want to head straight out to my studio and get messy. I love the colors and texture of your tag and you also have me wanting that balloon die. I'm off to see where I can find it!

Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Frilly and Funkie!!

Pamellia said...

Congrats on being the winner of the gift voucher at Frilly and Funkie, have fun shopping Lorraine!! hugs :)

Suzi McKenzie said...

That is one cool tag, love everything about it.
Thank you for joining us at That Craft Place.
Hope to see more of your work.
Suzi
xxx

~ginny said...

I don't know how I can add to the descriptive praises above Rainey... just reading all the comments must make you proud & confident that the time you spent was well worth it! I think you should frame this one and put it in a Happy Place!
~ginny g
RubberMAD